Wednesday, March 11, 2009

NETS* T3

Today's blog is on modeling digital-age work and learning. According to the NETS, teachers should exhibit knowledge, skills, and work processes representative of an innovative professional in a global and digital society. The indicator that sparks my interest from this standard is b: "collaborate with students, peers, parents, and community mmebers using digital tools and resources to support student access and innovation. "



I think that is one of the main goals of this class- to be able to use technology to communicate with our colleagues, students, and their parents. I have used tools like Edline to do exactly that; I post my daily homework as well as project instructions, upcoming tests, etc. Other than this tool and email, I cannot think think of another technology tool that I have used to communicate with families. I suppose blogging and wiki pages could be useful for that, but I have yet to find a good way to use those tools for math.



One way, though, that I am able to collaborate with my colleagues is literally emailing each other lessons, assessments, etc. A way that I have STOLEN from teachers is through Teacher Tube. I get lessons ideas and videos off this site to use with my students, but I have not contributed to it yet- so that's why I called it STEALING!

I have already shared my Smart Notebook Game Project with several people, and I think collaboration and communication is one of the most important parts of teaching.

4 comments:

  1. How awesome that you were able to share your Smart Notebook Game Project with several others from your department! I'm sure that they were very impressed and can't wait to get their hands on it! It's always a good feeling when you're able to collaborate and give to those who have assisted you at one time or another. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica,

    I didn't know that Teacher Tube had lesson plans. I'm unable to access this site from school, but will check it out at home. So you are thinking about contributing to the site. Good for you. Please let me know when you do so that I may check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica-I too am trying to incorporate a technology tool in my classroom (Astronomy and Global Science). I am trying to get a handle on a collaborative tool (www.webspiration.com) to enhance comprehension and retention. This website focuses on concept mapping. I feel it will be a very useful interactive tool for me and my students once I am able to navigate through it with some competency. I'll give it some thought on how it could be applied to mathematics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica-- I just saw your post from last week (that you put on my blog). I would be happy to show you how to use EdLine E-mail anytime. I never use it for homework, tests, quizzes, etc. The students know that I expect them to log onto EdLine themselves for that information and/or write it down in their planners during class.

    I DO use it for special "fundraisers" and charity donation reminders... Such as our Pasta for Pennies drive and the Box Top War my team holds @ the beginning of the school year.

    ReplyDelete