Monday, April 6, 2009

According to NETS*T4, teachers should address the diverse needs of all learners by using learner- centered strategies and providing equitable access to appropriate digital tools and resources. While researching the topic, I thought of Edline . Not only does this program offer a lot for teachers in terms of communication, but I think students could actually use it for assessments.

Jim has taught us many features of this program that I didn't even know existed; one of these is "quizzes". For a homework assignment, you could have students create a multiple- choice question based on the day's lesson and write it on a peice of paper. Then, as a teacher, you could go to Edline and type in that "approved" question to make a student- designed quiz for the end of the unit. Students could then complete this in class or as a take- home quiz or assignment.

Keeping in line with this standard, it should probably be a weekend or week- long quiz to give students time to complete it if they do not have internet access at home. I just think this another great way to let students take charge of their own learning and assessment using digital tools. Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. Jessica,

    I create a quiz on Edline last week and my students loved it. I strongly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica--

    Great idea! :) I admire your willingness to have students take charge of their own learning. I know this is something that both Miami and Mason champion, but it is definitely something that I need to work on in my classroom. In addition, giving the students ownership of the quiz/assignment would make them more likely to truly care about the questions they're creating-- because they know that both you and their peers will see them!

    Great idea. Let us know how it goes! :)

    ReplyDelete